Re: AHH!! Where should I go for college??!?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by LV on March 04, 2002 at 12:23:39:

In Reply to: AHH!! Where should I go for college??!? posted by confused! on March 04, 2002 at 11:48:42:

I might be adding to your confusion, but..........

Michigan: Fritz Kaenzig is just a fantastic teacher, player, human being. You couldn't go wrong with any time spent around him. The groups at Michigan are pretty good as well. BUT, Michigan is pretty isolated compared to NW. Ann Arbor is a great town, but it's no Chicago!

Northwestern: I have never had any personal contact with Rex Martin other than the most casual greetings. I understand he is also a good teacher/player. Where NW has an advantange is Chicago's close proximity. There are a ton of great opportunities to be had in this city. If nothing else, just hopping on the train to see the orchestra with some regularity would be a great learning experience.

FWIW, I did spend a little time in grad school at Michigan and have spent as much time as I could afford in Chicago! :) Either school will be a great experience. Most of your decision should be infuenced on what you need as a student. If you can, talk to current students, keeping mind that they are in the throws of the experience, and talk to former students to find out their opinions.

LV

Follow Ups: