Re: Re: Is Eastman still a Pinnacle?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by associate on March 03, 2002 at 20:03:32:

In Reply to: Re: Is Eastman still a Pinnacle? posted by Eastman what? on March 03, 2002 at 18:06:34:

I'm sure that John Clouser would listen to others audition for a position in the Cleveland woodwind section just as critically and just as fairly as he would someone who graduated from the Cleveland Institute.

It is my understanding that my friend, John, wasn't even originally invited to audition for his position as Principal Bassoon in the Cleveland Orchestra and that he had to make some phone calls just to be heard.

As to Eastman studio teachers, I've stood outside the trumpet studio and listened in awe to the Professor do his morning pre-lessons warm-up. I know that each year the oboe professor must select only four freshmen as students (due to available studio time and ensemble positions) out of seventy or eighty serious applicants who fly in to audition and who pay the hefty application fee. Though to them it's simply the (undergraduate) required ensemble for approximately one semester of each year, name the only wind ensemble who's recordings are consistently found of the racks of record stores.

Politics often make a difference, but not always.

Follow Ups: