Re: Need help with range.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on March 30, 2001 at 23:49:49:

In Reply to: Need help with range. posted by Carla Garcia on March 30, 2001 at 23:25:37:

Buy a trumpet book by written by a guy named Schlossberg and work on his flexibility exercises. If treble clef is a pain, there is a trombone version that you could read down an octave. Doing Mr. Schlossberg's tortuous lip slur up-and-down-and-up-and-down exercises will strengthen the muscles on the sides of your mouth.

Something else you could do is to struggle to play a note or two above the one that you "think" is your "top" note. Do this by using AIR to play that note-higher-than-you-can-play VERY loud (yep, it will sound BAD through your practice room door for awhile.) As those notes seem to come out just a little bit better very loud, trying playing them a bit softer...You will be using your mouth muscles a bit more and your lungs a bit less when playing a little softer.

Remember the Schlossberg book...btw, I'm usually a pretty good speller, but I have a hunch that I might be misspelling "Schlossberg" (??).

Follow Ups: