Re: Giving up....tuba for sale

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on March 29, 2001 at 12:20:32:

In Reply to: Giving up....tuba for sale posted by Josh Norris on March 29, 2001 at 02:02:13:

Josh,

Speaking as someone who once did exactly what you are doing, I can honestly say that if you do, you will miss it more than you can possibly imagine. After a little while, you start feeling like there's something missing, just not quite right. I'm not a particularly religious person, but I do believe that being musically inclined is a God-given gift, and if you're not using that gift either professionally or for your own enjoyment, then you just don't feel right.

Take a break, explore other majors, TALK TO YOUR TEACHER, talk to your advisor. Those two people only want what's best for you.

There's nothing wrong with being burnt-out. It happens to all of us at some point, especially in this field. But be sure you identify what you are burnt out on. It sounds like you are burnt out on being a music major, not necessarily the horn. I can really sympathize with that. It seems that many music programs have taken on the role of deciding who should be a musician (by their weeding-out processes) instead of educating the people that are talented enough. But that's another rant.

Before you sell a great horn that you are happy with, do yourself a favor (unless you are life-and-death desperate for the money). Gut out the rest of this semester and make your grades, and then take the summer off. I mean, just decide that you are not going to play until next fall. I'll bet you don't make it all summer. The lure of the song is too great.

All the best

Steve "who got fried by theory, and eaten by methods" Dedman

Follow Ups: