Pearl Harbor - 5 Tubas!!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Winton on March 28, 2001 at 06:20:29:

Yeah, check this out:

I was supposed to go with Chuck Koontz (you will see his name in the pro world someday) to the USC tuba master class since I didn't have Winds rehersal that night. I was also going to perform the Violin Concerto in A minor by Bach (transcribed by Tommy Johnson to G min.) in front of Tommy Johnson, Jim Self, and his students (all of them better them me, of course) to be critiqued on it. Intimidating, but thought it was an opportunity for performing it since this week is my turn to perform it in Biola University.

Well, right before we were going to leave for it, Chuck Koontz told me that I couldn't play the solo that night. I was kind of bummed out and was like, "oh......ok..." But he said the reason was because both Tommy and Jim was called to record for the movie "Pearl Harbor". I thought WOW because TWO tubas in a soundtrack isn't the usual thing. Well, he said, "But get this. That's not it." He told me that 3 more tuba players are playing tonight as well. That's FIVE TUBAS in a movie score! Isn't that crazy amazing!!!??? It was Tommy Johnson, Jim Self, Fred Greene, Norm Pearson (Chuck's Teacher), and John Van Houten (my teacher), ALL in the recording studio; the best tuba player and the top studio musicians. And the whole tuba studio was invited to come and listen to the recording of the brass section to record that night. Man......it was unberievaber. To hear that low D, pedal D, and the staff A played by tubas on top of the brass was the fattest and phattest sound I ever heard. Of course, Hans Zimmer's score was beautiful as well. I have just encountered tuba history right there.

Winton "overly satisfied" White

Follow Ups: