Re: Re: Re: Re: Let's us assume...............

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 27, 2001 at 19:48:43:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Let's us assume............... posted by James Soh on March 27, 2001 at 12:18:37:

I cannot answer this question in any useful way. You asked what I like, and all I can tell you is what I own, and what others report that they like. I have played very few BBb instruments at the upper end of the market. But I'll tell you what I know.

I like my York Master. It has to be high on the list of great BBb tubas, but that is based on what others say who have tried what's available. I also like my Miraphone, because it is easy to get good results on that horn, even as an intermediate player. I'd rather play in a section of Miraphones played well by amateurs than in a section of Hirsbrunners that expose the faults the Miraphones hide.

I liked the Willson, and it's the only BBb tuba I played at the Army conference, other than a King. The King was fine, but it didn't tempt me. Even after the Willson, though, going back to the York was like wrapping up in a favorite warm blanket.

I haven't played a VMI 3301, or a new King, or a Gronitz, or a Miraphone 191, or a Meinl-Weston 25, or any of the other highly rated BBb horns, so I'll let others provide their personal experiences. Some would say that maybe I should have played all these horns before buying the York, but I don't feel guilty.

Rick "who has liked a lot of BBb tubas, but not as well as the York or 186" Denney

Follow Ups: