Re: YCB-661 and "Monica"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on March 24, 2001 at 16:09:21:

In Reply to: YCB-661 and "Monica" posted by Greg Crider on March 24, 2001 at 14:46:00:

If you go to the search "box" at the top of the page and type in "661" I think you'll find a few sort-of recent articles on it.

From what I've read, it sounds like a whole-step higher, 5V version of the YBB-641, with allegedly a 16.5" bell and a .810-.815 bore. Not made any longer, but David Fedderly has one or two listed at his website. Hearsay is that this horn may have been designed for Chuck Dallenbach for his Canadian Brass playing in the early(?) '80s. In an earlier thread, a few positive comments were made about this horn.

As a matter of fact, there's a brief comment about it just a few topics down the page, made in passing by "Rob", I believe. But search back a month or so ago for a little more information.

Monica, as already said, is one of perhaps 3 existing Yamaha 6/4 prototype CC tubas that are copies of the famous CSO-Jacobs York. No price revealed for this tuba yet, and also no public revelation as to whether or not Yamaha will commercially produce it.

Steve Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: