Re: 621 F first impression

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on March 15, 2001 at 18:38:47:

In Reply to: 621 F first impression posted by Mary Ann on March 15, 2001 at 15:35:45:

Problems with handling a 4 piston/1 rotary instruments can be divided up between two sets of parameters:

a: If the spread between the piston buttons is too wide, oversize buttons can be helpful. Their availability looks like being confirmed by another poster. There might be derivated problems of pressing more than the intended valves. But these should be manageable.

b: How is the thumb trigger placed? If the standard placement forces the right hand into a too low position, an addition or a bend made by a qualified repairman might remedy the problem. An added palm/wrist support could prove helpful.

Another poster tells of his York Master BBb being a challenge to his right hand despite his large hands. That models is one of my contrabass outlets as well. It has its original thumb ring. I can use it as intended, but from time to time I put my outer thumb section through the ring from the top side. So the small hand problem obviously is not one of mine.

On the other hand most of my smaller instruments have had to be accomodated to that size of hands. Which will find no other way to hold piston trumpets and cornets, than by holding the piston bottoms between thrumb and index of the left hand. A grip that will require throw rings to be modified.

My point is, that one should go for the musical potentials of a given instrument. Ergonomics have to be modified. Which should be possible in most cases.

Klaus

Follow Ups: