Last Plug For Advice!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on March 14, 2001 at 21:09:40:

Hey folks!

I'm a few days away from taking a trek to a "tuba buffet" and am looking for some last-minute advice after scouring the archives of this site and the tubaeuph list. I'm busy doing quite a bit of research, practicing, and thoughtful meditation. I'm really trying to keep my options open, not focus on one or two types of horns and not even focusing on a particular key. The bulk of my playing is in quintets, small ensembles, church gigs, and the occasional orchestral call. I'm really trying to keep an open mind and stay true to the tuba sound I hear in my head which is a sound with a good core, intensity, energy and a great deal of agility. I just can't stop looking for any and all pointers as I will not have an extra set of ears to accompany me.

I'm looking for that ever-elusive one horn that does it all. Here are my candidates...

CC: Conn 52J, Rudy Meinl 3/4, Rudy Meinl 4/4, Mirafone 186 5-valve, Mirafone 188.

EEb: Willson 3400, Besson 981

F: Willson 3200, MW 45SLP

Any other horns I should investigate? I don't care for the PTs and only have about $7500 to spend>

Thanks everyone for humoring me!

Follow Ups: