Re: Re: Re: Tuba/Euph doubling

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike Forbes on March 14, 2001 at 15:43:21:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Tuba/Euph doubling posted by Anthony Labelle on March 14, 2001 at 14:38:38:

Still in agreement with all that has been said! Especially the idea of maintaining regular practice on your tuba. I am also a tuba player (in the U.S. Army Band, where Zerkel used to play, and Sean Chisham NOW plays) who also plays the euph. in the U.S. Army Tuba/Euph. Quartet as well as in the Univ. of Maryland Wind Ensemble (where we just recorded all the works for band by Vaughan-Williams and Holst!!!--WHAT A EUPH. WORK-OUT, I LOVED IT!!! Nothing like getting the melody and playing solos once in a while!)

I have found, however, that I sound like hell using a REAL euphonium mouthpiece, so I followed Jake's example, and bought myself a small "F Tuba" cupped mouthpiece, with a small euph. shank. I stick this in my Yamaha 321, and sound like I'm playing a huge compensating Besson!

People will scoff and this, and I admit, my hybrid mouthpiece does give me a slightly larger/tubby sound than any regular euph. player, but it still works, without the wierd embouchure adjustment of playing a REAL euph. mouthpiece.

There are some concerns however:

1) Pitch will be a problem until you work out the kinks.
2) Endurance will also be an issue (even though it doesn't feel like it at first).
3) You will have to adjust your "tuba-air" as mentioned in previous posts.

There are some benefits as well:

1) Maintaining your "tuba" embouchure
2) Easy to switch back and forth (as in tuba/euph. quartets, Pictures at Exhibition, etc.)
3) Enormous Euph. sound with UNBELIEVABLE low-register.
4) Higher register in your tuba playing will definitely improve.

I got my mouthpiece by calling up Schilke and special-ordering it. It took no time, and cost around $90 back in 1996. They even labelled it: Schilke-Forbes...how sweet.

Take the gig, and don't tell any euph. players that your stealing their jobs...they have few enough as it is. And keep a regular schedule playing both horns--for fingering memory as much as anything else! This becomes an even bigger deal when playing CC & F Tubas, and then adding Bb euph. on top of everything else!

Mike

Follow Ups: