Re: Re: universities

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 13, 2001 at 00:40:54:

In Reply to: Re: universities posted by Matt G on March 12, 2001 at 18:38:00:

Thanks for the mention Matt! I'm glad that you got to know my student Horby Lopez at the Intercollegiate Band in 1998. You might be interested to know that Horby just did his junior recital and played the Gregson (all 3 movements) on that same YBB-641. He is currently preparing for his senior recital and he's working on the Penderecki.

By the way, the school I teach at is Florida International University. I'm currently looking to recruit at least one good tuba player, possibly two, for next year. We have scholarship money available. Contact me if you're interested because it is not too late to apply for next fall.

The University of Miami is a really nice place to go for a tuba education, the highlight being the tuba instructor John Olah. John is a Cleveland Institute grad (studied with Ron Bishop) and is a really good player and teacher. He just finished a run of Fantastique performances with the FPO last week and he's going to be playing second tuba again next week on Zarathustra.

If you see Russ Ward, please send him my regards. I heard he was starting to get back into the business and I'm glad to see he's started that process.

Follow Ups: