Re: Re: Fifth valve - Flat *2nd* ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Inman on March 12, 2001 at 12:17:23:

In Reply to: Re: Fifth valve - Flat *2nd* ? posted by Scott on March 12, 2001 at 09:48:21:

You can create your own, *theoretical* fingering chart in advance, by simply writing down the number of half steps each valve will lower an open tone independently, and then add these together.

2nd valve - 1 half step
1st valve - 2 half steps
3rd valve - 3 half steps
4th valve - 5 half steps
5th valve - 1.3? half steps (your set-up)

Then, remember that as you play lower, with combinations of valves, the result will be sharper than what is theoretically predicted. By checking the archives for recent discussion on this topic, you can look at others' results, and get a good idea of *how sharp* certain standard fingerings will be. Then apply this info to your situation.

Assuming you've got a CC horn, then low G would be fingered 4, low Gb, as either 24 or 54, low F probably 524 (in your case 5+2 = the same result as a flat 1st valve tuning for the 5th valve. Hmm, maybe this means you should use the flat 1st valve fingering charts, and substitute 5+2 for the first valve everywhere?) Continuing, low E is theoretically 124, but **IF** fingered 5,2,4 (it's clear I'm an Eb player, eh? check the earlier post for recommended fingerings), then (with my hypothetical "standard" fingering) this would call for:

2.3 half steps (v5)+ 1 half step (v2) + 5 half steps (v4) = a flat 8 half steps (~8.3)

To get a similar result with your tuba:

a flat 8 half steps = 5th v (1.3 half steps) + 4th v (5 half steps)+ 1st v (2 half steps)
so if you use 514 for low E (assuming my guess at the typical fingering is correct -- I didn't go look), that would be the same result as 5,2,4 with a CC with a flat 1st valve tuning on the 5th valve.

Just check the recent post for 5th valve fingerings on CC tubas for the very low range (just a day ago), add the number of half steps the listed combination of valves will produce, and compare to your tuba's capability, using my chart above. That should work.

Steve "math is your friend" Inman
Kokomo, IN

Follow Ups: