Re: What does everyone think about Piggy?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jkh on March 11, 2001 at 17:23:18:

In Reply to: What does everyone think about Piggy? posted by Wondering on March 08, 2001 at 12:55:21:

I have owned a Cerveny "piggy" for about 5 years now, it actually being my primary instrument (now into my second year of college at Crane). When I ordered this instrument I knew that there might be a good chance I would have to send it back due to intonation problems. I didn't, but I know of 2 people that ordered them, and ended up sending them back...one, just gave up on them. Its an ideal quintet horn in my opinion, but kind of limited after that. I have been able to play in many orchestras with it, but its far from an ideal in that sense (which has led me to purchase a new bigger horn in the near future). I find the tone to be exceptional on my horn, and get repeated comments about it. But I have tried other piggy's and have found the sound to be a lot different and "stuffy".
A few other gripes I have about the horn...I have had several problems with the linkage on it, and the valves, although quick, are not like new thats for sure. I have, and repairmen have tried to get them to a new state, but that has been nearly impossible. Also the lack of a fifth valve on the horn. I didn't have the option when I bought the horn, although I do know that it is now an option. However in Cerveny style I imagine it isn't a thumb trigger, but a left index finger deal...I haven't seen one of them yet, or heard much about it, so I could be wrong...
To make a long response quick....It luck of the draw....If you get a good one, its probably worth more than you paid, if you get a bad one, return it!

Jay
NYTuba(AT)cs.com

Follow Ups: