Re: laquering... cost, and effects on horn.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by SAM I AM on March 10, 2001 at 01:51:12:

In Reply to: laquering... cost, and effects on horn. posted by enthusiast on March 07, 2001 at 23:46:07:

Just so you know, satin finish does not require sandblasting. There is a plating process that will satin finish the plating without requiring the surface of your horn to be abraded, but as it is a technological triumph, it is still more expensive.
Also, "worsen" is a very subjective term. I have heard many conflicting views on the effects of finishes to a horn. None have been adequately supported to make me beleive that there are absolutes to what happens when you change a horn's finish. Bear in mind that whenever you add mass to a horn, be it from adding a thicker leadpipe to a couple of ounces of lacquer, you are changing how that horn will vibrate. Sometimes this can be a boon as it may enhance an area of the harmonic register that you have been longing to hear. Sometimes your horn will soud like crap to your ear after. I personally find that most silver plated horns are brighter and project more than most laquered and unlaquered brass horns of the same model (note: I did say MOST).
Costs associated with such a process can vary according to your geographic location. For instance, if you are in Indiana and can visit Anderson Plating, your cost may be less than if you are in Canada and have to source out a Plater who can, and is willing to, handle the volume of such a project.
I know that this answers nothing, but the more knowledge you have, the better prepared you are to make a decision.

Follow Ups: