Re: Please help out this mom!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on March 10, 2001 at 00:41:56:

In Reply to: Please help out this mom! posted by Tuba mom on March 09, 2001 at 00:44:53:

Do *not* even consider buying a cheap tuba. I'll suggest several ways to go; you'll
have to choose. But...buying a new "inexpensive" tuba is *not* an option.

First - consult with the local High School band director. Get him involved. It may
be that the current tuba is not really a problem. No on here can figure this out - you
need a music pro on the scene. Even if the current tuba is a serious problem, the
HS band director may be able to help.

If you need another tuba, a lot depends on your cash flow and your credit. Some have mentioned renting. I'm going to suggest that a good financing deal is probably better
than renting. I saw $50/month mentioned - look into how much you can finance and pay back at $50/month. That's the price of the tuba you can afford. Note that IF HE TAKES CARE OF IT (a problem worth considering with a 13yo) and YOU GET A GOOD PRICE, then tubas hold their value fairly well. The reason everyone tells you to avoid the $1200 (new) tubas is that they lose ALL of their value as soon as you pay for them. No one else wants them! On the other hand, you could easily purchase a (new) tuba for under $3000, use it for 6 years, and expect to be able to sell it for $2000. You still end up putting about $1000 into those 6 years, but your son gets to play a much better tuba.

I can't recommend that you buy a USED tuba unless you have the active help from a local pro. There are too many ways to get burned. If you *do* have such help...it's probably the msot cost-effective way. If you get a good deal on a good used tuba, your son can use it for 6 years and sell it for more than you paid for it (again IF HE TAKES CARE OF IT). I think it's easier to avoid being burned if you buy new (but you still have to be careful!)

So, bottom line - avoid "cheap". Look for local guidance. Think about this purchase as a 6 year proposition and think about financing so it looks more like "renting" than "buying" in terms of the immediate hit on your pocketbook. $100/month will buy a LOT of tuba!

Follow Ups: