Re: Re: How do you deal with this?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubatheorist on March 09, 2001 at 22:56:14:

In Reply to: Re: How do you deal with this? posted by Tubby Tubby Two By Four on March 09, 2001 at 16:33:52:

It is a great tool to develop a warmup and workout routine when it is used consistantly, that is the key.
However, I am finding when you come down off of this routine, you crash all the harder. I too have been in a slump. As of late I felt like I have been dealt one blow after another, but it is essential to remain positive. When it feels like everything you put into your horn is coming out as something you perceive as being "bad", try your best to find something good. That's not to say that you should praise yourself for having a bad day, it's just giving your mind something to work with... we seem to function better when we can sense at least something good. Despite some things going on in my playing life, I still try to remember the good things, and realize that no matter how much "bad" I go through, no one can take the good I work for away from me... and it will only become better.
Finding a groove to settle into can help consistancy of playing, I have found. Unfortunately, I have let myself out of this. I have struggled with many things lately, but doing my best to stay with my horn has helped all of that. I believe music is the one tool that has the power to make a person feel good. So try your best to find even your tiniest spark of a good thing, and hopefully that technique will work for you as well... use that as your motivation to keep going... for every slump you fall into, there is always the upside. You will probably learn something valuable from this phase, and it may even make your playing all the better in the long run.
Best of luck...

Follow Ups: