Re: How do you deal with this?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on March 09, 2001 at 15:23:14:

In Reply to: How do you deal with this? posted by bumfuzzled on March 09, 2001 at 13:40:47:

I usually have those days after several days/weeks or very productive practice. With me, I am usually starting to overanalyse things and get too down on myself and start ignoring the good stuff. When I get those self doubts, I grab the DAT and record myself for a minute or two, then listen. Almost everytime I realize that things are going fine.

Only once has it been a real problem, and that was a short time when I had switched mouthpieces. The new mouthpiece sounded better than the old one, but my embouchure started to deteriate to the point where I could not even buzz anymore. I was sorta freaking out about it. Thought that maybe something serious was happening. I switched back to the old mouthpiece and the problem cleared up within a month or so. Thanks to embouchure.com for the good advice it has.

Now the only times I really get those type of problems is if I skip my morning ritual of long tones scales and slurs which help to keep my face trained as to the proper way to play. If I skip this for even 2 or three days and try to play jobs cold, then I start to get the same problems you describe.

If you have the luxury or time, then try to not play all weekend and pick the horn back up on Monday and play easy, slow, one octave stuff with ease, good air, and a great sound to try to get the motor memory back in order. Keep things simple for a good week or so. Don't push yourself too hard until your face is doing the right thing.

feel for ya,
sean

Follow Ups: