Re: Re: Hong Kong Phil Tuba Audition open

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by What's the Catch? on March 08, 2001 at 17:16:53:

In Reply to: Re: Hong Kong Phil Tuba Audition open posted by Catch 22 on March 08, 2001 at 16:07:41:

It ain't Alessi and Vernon, but the trombones are young, strong players. My guess is that it would be a pleasure to perform in that section.

The $100 deposit is standard. It's also refundable if you decide not to audition.

I wouldn't be scared off by the "big sacking". While it is a brutal way to do business, it was clearly a move by a new conductor to improve the orchestra. Any orchestra (or any other job, for that matter) with a tenure system is prone to have people who become complacent. If you accept a position with this orchestra, it is with the understanding that your playing will always be scrutinized. Some people thrive under pressure, and if that doesn't describe you, don't take this audition.

Finally, tuba jobs are rare. Taking into account how strong the American dollar is in China right now, that $65K is worth far more than it's face value. I'd say there will be a lot of interest in this position.

Follow Ups: