Re: tuba playing and "workouts"

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Randy Mac Iver on March 08, 2001 at 08:26:21:

In Reply to: tuba playing and "workouts" posted by tubatheorist on March 07, 2001 at 20:02:32:

Just thought that I would chime in on this one cause I don't totally agree that just running or swimming alone is what makes air usage more proficient. The way that you breathe while you are running or swiming is different than when you play your horn, I think that it is important to realize this. The benefits that exercise and running will give you are a cumulative effect. Between the years 1983 to 1986 I was in a hundred mile club that is to say I would get a certificate for every one hundred miles run. I would run 5 to 7 miles a day and sometimes 10 to 15 depending on when a PFT was coming around so I would do 100 miles in 10 to 20 days. The main benefit I got from all this running was endurance and not necessarily strenght. If endurance training and strength training went hand in hand then Marathon runners would be the strongest people on earth. Learning to phrase and how to control volume of sound is another aspect of your playing that will benefit from aerobic excersive but it alone will not solve these problems so while I agree that exercise helps it is not an instant cure. To prove my point look at some famous players and see if they hit the track regularly to help them play better.
Randy,"Burned out my knees and ankles when I was young"Mac Iver

Follow Ups: