Re: Re: Purchase Advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Eric Oliver on March 04, 2001 at 22:29:21:

In Reply to: Re: Purchase Advice posted by Benjamin Schardt on March 04, 2001 at 16:56:14:

Of the horns you mentioned I like the Mirafone 188 and the Conn 52J, although the Conn 56J is even better. The Conn 56 is a wonderful horn...I love it. I own a Hirsbrunner HB21 (4/4 CC) a MIrafone 188, a Mirafone 1864U (4/4 BBb) and a Yamaha YFB 822. The Conn tuba is excellent for solo, quintet and reasonable orchestral works. Now if you are planning of performing Mahler constantly, you'll need a bigger horn. I am not a fan on of Meinel Weston horns becasue the valve action is too long for my taste, but if you do get the 2145, try putting Yamaha valve springs in the valves, it makes them more responsive.

BTW, if you are interested in the Conn of the M. Weston, contact David Fedderely at the Baltimore Brass, he has two Conn 56s in stock and some Westons too, and I have been dealing with him for the last month, tell him Eric Oliver reccommended you. He is a great guy, and he'll make you a good deal on just about any tuba.

Good luck finding a good horn

P.S. I have some other tubas that are nice that people tried to sell to me.....if you want the e-amils I'll forward them to you. I have a big 6/4 Holton and Ceverny Custom and a few others.... just drop me a line.

Eric Oliver
eoliver(AT)wf.net

Follow Ups: