Re: Re: Re: Re: Miraphone F at Dillon's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joseph on March 02, 2001 at 13:02:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Miraphone F at Dillon's posted by Rick Denney on March 02, 2001 at 10:42:17:

I wasn't exactly playing with any certain expectations. I just blow. If you strap a big enough engine to a barn you can make it fly. Perhaps that is why my impression of that horn was so different. I would imagine that a C4 with a turned down shank would really make that horn sing. It would probably sound great on Petrouchka or any Berlioz. And the Penderecki or some Strauss horn concertos would also probably be lots of fun on a horn like that one. It would be functional in a quintet but not my first choice. The low register was just fine but then again I've not met an F tuba with a bad low register yet.. just players(I know that could be interpretted as smart-ass.. that is not my intention at all). My assessments of F tuba low registers should be taken with a grain of salt as I'm stubborn enough to figure out how to make them sound good just out of principle. I think it was a great buy at $800 and would be interested in owning something similar for kicks and giggles if nothing else one of these days. I had no idea it was auctioned off btw. I don't really remember the response but I don't recall it as being bad and the intonation seemed about par for a german style F and I give it the benefit of the doubt that a mouthpiece that fits properly in the shank would probably fix much of what was there.

Mark got a good deal.

Respectfully disagreeing,
joseph 'it's the player not the horn' felton

Follow Ups: