Re: solo philosophy

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by John Hreha on March 12, 2000 at 22:30:34:

In Reply to: solo philosophy posted by Steve Dedman on March 12, 2000 at 16:56:07:

I agree that some pieces should be left alone for younger players. BUT, I know that if you aim high, you are forced to work harder to achieve some level of quality. If you are a high school player and you are constantly told that you shouldn't overshoot, you will never become a better player (or at least not as quickly). I am curently a high school senior. I have had some success as a player on the high school level, which doesn't matter ( and I am not going to brag about) Thus far, I have prepared, and played in recitals Effie Suite, and Ballad and Presto Dance. Both pieces have technical passages, and lyrical passages that pushed me to my limit. If it wasn't for Ballad and Presto Dance, I wouldn't be able to play a high A. Since I worked that piece up, I can now play the high parts of the VW. I know that I am far from "performance quality" on the VW, BUT I have furthered myself as a player from working on it. My bottom line is, you have to push yourself to ever further yourself. By the way, I am going to play the VW this spring for a recital, I'l keep you posted ;)

Follow Ups: