Re: CC Opinions?...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee A. Stofer, Jr. on March 12, 2000 at 15:48:01:

In Reply to: CC Opinions?... posted by ?? on March 10, 2000 at 13:44:20:

Dear ??,
I have played all of the models listed at one time or another, and played all but the B&S in a professional setting. Any of these horns, in good condition, would be a worthy professional instrument.
I take exception to the person who wrote about the lack of quality of the Hirsbrunner, as opposed to the B&S. No one on the planet makes better quality tubas than Peter Hirsbrunner, Jr., Rudolf Meinl, and Gerhard Meinl. Of that list you made, I'd go with the 3/4 Rudolf Meinl CC. It is light enough to be extremely effective in smaller ensembles, and with a mouthpiece change, I can balance any orchestra in the world with it. Of course, everyone's needs and strong- and weak points are different. This instrument is the best of the list for my abilities and weaknesses. I would suggest finding which one works best for you. Don't worry about "conventional thinking" and instrument fashion and stereotypes. Three years ago, I played an entire summer of outdoor performances on an Olds fiberglass sousaphone- why? - because it sounded good! Best of luck!
-Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: