Re: Re: perceptions

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on March 09, 2000 at 11:24:52:

In Reply to: Re: perceptions posted by Rick Denney on March 09, 2000 at 00:46:39:

I'll go along with the horse-puckey response, and for at least one real reason. Let's suppose you and I REALLY DON'T care what the horn looks like, only how it sounds. But I think down deep, we care about the overall sensory product an audience experiences. I'm not much of an orchestra guy, but those who are -- would you play less well in overalls? YOU probably wouldn't care how you dress, only how you sound, but your audience has expectations of what they will see, and as performers you want to meet (and exceed) those expectations, so you don the tux. In other venues, other styles, the sousaphone (and indeed the overalls) are appropriate, and I'll be glad to use both; but in the concert situation, I think decorum would preclude the use of a sousaphone (with some possible exceptions in pops or march concerts). Nothing to do with REAL quality, only PERCEIVED quality, but 'perception is reality' in this case.

FWIW though, my Eb sousaphone is about the sweetest sounding instrument I've ever heard, bar none. If I could just get someone to wind it a little tighter so it'd sit on my lap...

Follow Ups: