Re: Best Eb Tuba

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James W on March 09, 2000 at 10:09:35:

In Reply to: Best Eb Tuba posted by Jon Brady on March 09, 2000 at 08:45:59:

The Besson Sovereign Eb tubas (981 and 982) are the stalwarts of every English brass band, and I have used one in everything from brass bands to orchestras. I used a 982 for the first tuba part in the final of the British national concert band championships last year and was never disappointed. It cut beautifully through the 110 strong band (including a 12 man trombone section) when required, but is still subtle enough to play in a quintet. The intonation is solid over a huge range - Steve Sykes claims 5 1/2 octaves on his 981, but a mere mortal like myself can still play well over 4 without really straining. I've played on countless severeign Eb's and the build quality is incredibly consistent. I have never played one I didn't like (more than I can say for the Sovereign BBb tubas, but thats a different story). Even the compensators are free blowing and the instrument doesn't become stuffy until 6 or 7 ledgers down. Also, as of recently there is a front action version available (the 983) for people who dont like the 3+1 setup, or who just want to be able to pull the slides around. Ultimately it comes down to what instrument you like the feel of, but the Bessons are definately worth a go - just listen to the Brassed Off soundtrack for a demo! Have fun hunting and I hope you find what you want.

James

Follow Ups: