Re: Re: Noisy Valve Problem

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by James W on March 09, 2000 at 09:40:58:

In Reply to: Re: Noisy Valve Problem posted by Ryan on March 09, 2000 at 00:18:15:

Don't just add padding. You may quieten the valves, but if you make the pads too thick then the valve ports won't align properly. Try taking out the old padding (which is probably too soaken in oil and spit to be much good) and replacing it. Also, make sure your springs are all OK - the right length and driving straight upwards. Check that all the screw fittings (top cap, bottom cap, push button) are nice and tight and that they dont rattle when the piston hits the top of its stroke (NB - ALWAYS grease the threads of the top cap and bottom cap to keep water out and stop them corroding). Finally, try a slightly thicker oil. It might just be that your valves are worn. I have a late 19th century valve trombone and use a much thicker oil on that than I do on my Besson piston tuba. Fixing loose caps or worn valves is a job for a repairman, and a valve job is not cheap at all. I hope this helps, and that it is not a serious problem.

James.

Follow Ups: