Re: Re: Re: hand positoin on rotory valved horns

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bryan on March 09, 2000 at 02:15:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: hand positoin on rotory valved horns posted by Gary Swart on March 08, 2000 at 00:06:46:

"I've found that fingers fairly flat on the spatulas work fine, but I think one should use the finger tips rather than the half of the finger."

Why? I mean if flat fingering works, what is it we are trying to fix. I play both a rotary horn (5-V) as well as several different valved horns (4-front and 3+1 set-up) and would have to actually sit down with each to be sure exactly what I do at any given time. So long as it allows me the dexterity to get the job done, and doesn't do any damage (to myself or the horn), where is the issue. Personally, I think very little(in fact none at all) about how my fingers ride the valves, but am aware of the position of my wrist. If my wrist is in an awkward position, I will begin to feel tension all the way up to my neck (not a good thing). Because I often play many hours on any given day, being comfortable and relaxed is primary. How my fingers actually plunge a valve is low priority.

Follow Ups: