Re: Re: Music Education

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Scott Roeder on March 07, 2000 at 21:29:56:

In Reply to: Re: Music Education posted by Brian Crim on March 07, 2000 at 19:43:07:

To answer your question about music education. Yes there are plenty of opportunities to teach. Most colleges that I know of have 100% job placement for their music teachers. However, it is a really tough field and if you don't love it it is not easy to succeed or even survive.
I think in indirect ways studying music education can influence your playing in a positive light. First of all by learning about and having to study most of the other wind intsruments, you will have a better understanding of what you are playing with in ensembles. That insight should help you play with groups better. Furthermore you should get a better understanding of what a conductor goes through. I learning to try a make music with your hands a facial experssions was tought and I was happy to get back to making music on the tuba.
Usually music ed programs are very rigorous. I think most music ed majors avereraged between 19-22 hours a semester which is a lot. However it is still possible to practice and improve as a musician. Hope this is what you were looking for.
Scott Roeder

Follow Ups: