Re: Why so many Tubas in a Brass Band

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kevin Miller c/o Tulsa Band Instruments on March 02, 2000 at 19:06:27:

In Reply to: Why so many Tubas in a Brass Band posted by Erik on March 02, 2000 at 00:29:20:

In my opinion, the concept of the tuba sound in a brass band is more omnipresent than directional. Another way to look at it is to think of the tuba sound wrapping itself around the tonality of the rest of the group. At least 2 Bb and 2 Eb basses are needed to achieve this sound. I try to conceptualize how a pipe organ pedal supports the rest of the pipes. Lots of presence without being at all blatty. If you listen to recordings of the best British groups, you never hear a harsh or forced articulation. It's always velvet smooth in the bass line. Also, you can always tell the British arrangers from the American arrangers(excepting Bill Himes). The British guys, from experience, seem to know how best to use the Eb and Bb parts to achieve the best sound. Both parts being very independent keeping the Eb part in the staff and using the Bb for mostly low stuff with lots of 2 note chords for good pedal effects. Too many American arrangements just stick the parts in octaves. No slight is meant against American arrangers since they are mostly writing for American groups who are relatively new to the concept of brass band scoring. I hope the brass band movement really takes off soon in the states. It is slowly catching on with the help of Boosey & Hawkes.

Follow Ups: