Re: Eb popularity

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 01, 2000 at 08:59:15:

In Reply to: Eb popularity posted by DaveC on March 01, 2000 at 08:02:11:

I have always played Eb, at least as long as I've been playing on a "small" horn to complement my CC tuba. There was only one deciding factor for me in choosing Eb, that being how it played. When I first became serious about tuba playing, I did some investigation into what I would need to compete for an orchestral job. Pretty much everyone said you needed at least two horns, one main tuba (CC or BBb) and one small tuba (Eb or F). So I started trying out every tuba I could get my hands on in hopes of finding the combination that really worked for me. Over a few years I tried many F tubas and none felt right to me. I then tried a Yamaha 321 Eb and it was obvious I had found what I was looking for. At the time I was shopping around, the F tubas I played all had low range problems and many had serious intonation problems. And while I know now that some of that was my unfamiliarity with those tubas, what mattered to me was that the Eb tubas felt good right away and they had a sound I really liked. The Eb tubas I've played also tended to have many fewer intonation problems. After getting my job and starting to expand my usage of the small horn, I began to see the limitations of the Yamaha and started looking into a more specialized approach, which eventually led me to my current 4 horn configuration. My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: