Re: A.F.M. Union Musicians & Work Availibility For Tubists

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 18, 1999 at 10:06:39:

In Reply to: A.F.M. Union Musicians & Work Availibility For Tubists posted by James on March 16, 1999 at 19:29:19:

I don't think the union's function is getting musicians work. I think the union functions primarily as a protection entity for working musicians. Sure, a union local is a natural as a clearing house for musicians. But not too many folks simply call the union up and ask for musicians. Mostly, people who books musicians know who they want already or they have a friend who they will entrust to set up whatever grouping of musicians they need. The union's strength is in the organization of working musicians and the protection of their rights. The servicing of working musician contracts and the creation of solidarity among all musicians is best handled by the union and such work benefits the working conditions of all musicians.

So, how do you make a living as a player if you're not in a major symphony orchestra? You need to establish yourself as a quality dependable player in a market that has a suitable amount of freelance work available. Obviously, the larger markets like New York and Chicago are fertile ground for freelance work but there is also alot of competition in such places so it can be hard to get noticed. Give yourself time and be sure you have some other way to make a living to keep you afloat while you establish your playing career. The union can be of some help in getting your name around, especially if you regularly attend meetings and try to be an active participant. But I would only count on the union to help protect your rights once you have the work in hand. Getting the work is ultimately going to be up to you.

Good luck!

Follow Ups: