Re: Re: Miraphone 186-5U and 188-5U

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chris Hite on March 17, 1999 at 08:41:33:

In Reply to: Re: Miraphone 186-5U and 188-5U posted by chrisH on March 17, 1999 at 00:54:08:

I have owned both a 186-4U BBb and a 188-5U CC. My BBb was a great first horn. It was consistent in pitch and tone quality. I felt at that time in my playing that I needed a larger horn for the groups with which I was playing. When I switched to CC, I picked up a 188. Although I was not too impressed with the first notes, I attribute that to learning the mechanics and mindset of playing a new horn in a different key. Once I became more familiar with the horn, it became my favorite axe. If I didn't need the cash for another project, I would never have sold it. It was a Tommy Johnson model from about 1980 with vented valves. I liked the 188 for, again, its consistancy and ability to be used in almost every group that I played. I felt it was limited only in the volume for very large groups when I was playing alone. I received many compliments on its sound and texture. Again, as many have mentioned, find the horn that you are comfortable with and that also fits your playing needs. Hope this rambling helps.

Follow Ups: