Re: Flight Case: Meinl Weston V.S. Watt Johnson

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ryan Scott on March 08, 1999 at 03:11:31:

In Reply to: Flight Case: Meinl Weston V.S. Watt Johnson posted by Tim on March 06, 1999 at 15:18:48:

I own both cases in question. I bought my Walt Johnson last year for my F, the case is great for that smaller horn. It is light weight, inside is form fitted to my vales, and well everything else. The people that made that case know exactly what they are doing. The case hasn't really been tested multiple times in airports yet. I have flown with it twice, neither time has the horn been touched.
I very recently got a 2155 and the Meinl Weston case from Dillons. For the size tuba, I think this case is great. It is very easy to handle when rolling it along. The wheels are small and built in like the Johnson case. But the difference between that and the Johnsons is that the Meinl is simply more sturdy when carting along. I can easily see how if I had a larger Johnson case it would tip over, where as this big red Weinl case flat won't due to its shape and where the wheel are placed on the case.
Wieght for each case is about the same, meaning the small Johnson case is around the same wieght as my case for the larger 2155. Price is pretty much about the same.
One note, the cases are made with different materials. Johnson with poly fiber something or rather, and the Meinl with aluminum I believe.
I have not flown with my new Meinl yet, but have a friend who just got the same case for the same tuba and has flown with it a bunch of times. Even the man that owned the case before him flew with it many times I'm sure.
For the money, I would go with Meinl Weston. I don't regret at all my Johnson case for my F, but if it were my C I'd get scared of it wobbling and excess size regulations at airports. I'm expecting my Meinl case to go through airports just like my Johnson, without any problems or fees.

Follow Ups: