Re: Re: Re: Majoring in Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 06, 1999 at 18:44:53:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Majoring in Music posted by Rob Perelli-Minetti on March 05, 1999 at 09:11:36:

Touche, Rob. I believe, as you, that a university has the added advantage of providing a more well-rounded education than a conservatory type education. I wonder how much of the attitude that one should go to a university to be educated is a throw back attitude from the days when one became educated before entering high society. I myself went to 2 such universities but not because I wanted a more well-rounded education. I went because of the quality of the musical training I received.

The problem with music is that the training needs to be intense and immersive, especially as early on as possible. As a result, musicians are frequently prepared to enter the field at the end of the baccalaureate level, sometimes even before that. We agree completely about one thing: If the student feels the need to "hedge the bet", they really do need to know how the rest of the world works. I believe they will almost certainly be operating for at least some time there...

Follow Ups: