Re: Re: Range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rob P-M on April 01, 1999 at 08:32:35:

In Reply to: Re: Range posted by Um, okay on March 31, 1999 at 18:37:37:

Actually he said f above high c. In the notation in the Tuba Source Book, that would be probably be f' (the f that sits on top of the 2nd ledger line above the base clef staff or, in the first space in the treble clef staff). In the Tuba Source Book, that's suggested as the top of the range of a BBb tuba for a professional. (Of course there are people who can play higher, but really, how many people have a practical useful range even that high on BBb) It is suggested there (p554, with reference to Brian Bowman (Practical Hints On Playing the Baritone 1983) suggesting that "players trying to force high pitches out of their instruments could cause physical damage to their lips.

Actually, your remarks about leaving it to the upper instruments is equally applicable to the f' as to the a'' you mention.

I concur on the importance of low range work. Tubas exist to provide BASS to the ensemble, not to double the euph or trumpet. Sure it's fun to play up high on solos and the occasional work which requires it (but it usually sounds better on a good Eb or F tuba), but the stuff that really makes any ensemble sound great is a fantastic sound in the basement, from Bb1 on down. We acutally play here frequently and I can't begin to recount experiences where young players stop around the Ab1 (on the 3rd ledger line below the base clef staff) and have to go up an octave for the very common G1, F1, and Eb1. (just as they often have to go down an octave for anything above f in the bass clef staff) Unless they've worked on the sound in the extended ranges, I must say I'd rather see them change the octave than strain for the notes. After all good sound is the key.

Follow Ups: