Re: Re: Re: What happens if a person practices too much?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on March 23, 1999 at 16:12:02:

In Reply to: Re: Re: What happens if a person practices too much? posted by Fei Huang on March 15, 1999 at 09:32:23:

Here's a thought, almost contrary to this whole thread:
What about practicing "not practicing"? By that, I mean that sometimes circumstances require staying off the horn, and maybe even the mouthpiece, for a day or more, and you need to jump right back on the horn and play just as well as before. Does anybody have a method to deal with this, or is it usually just "take it as it comes"?

The best insurance I've had against this problem (like my wisdom teeth operation a month ago, which kept me from even buzzing for just over a week) is to practice the bezeezus out of your music beforehand -- say, during the week that it's passed out. Normally, though, if I can't get to my horn, I'll buzz my mpc until at least my face feels good, and that preserves a lot of my chops for when I get back.

I agree with what somebody else posted -- "If it ain't fun, it ain't happening." Lots of un-fun practice can get you to hate the instrument. Take a break, get into a better mood, then go back to the horn and have some jollity.

Seeya,
Leland

Follow Ups: