Re: Re: Re: Besson CC & Rudy Meinl 4/4 CC piston

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 25, 2003 at 17:03:50:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Besson CC & Rudy Meinl 4/4 CC piston posted by wrong on June 25, 2003 at 16:26:17:

Yes, I think any hope that any of the old York tooling found it's way to B&M during the Carl Fischer years has been completely dispelled.

They were inspired by the appearance of the instrument and tried to make an instrument that looked like it. But now that I'm getting used to the Holton, I'm realizing that the York Master is a crossover instrument, with a mix of American and German. But it's a pretty good mix!

Nirschl definitely has and still uses the tooling for the old B&M and York Master instruments (and B&M-made Marzans, too, for that matter). There are parts that are similar. But it seems to me the 4/4 Nirschls should stand on their own and not be considered as derivatives of anything else.

I've only played the Besson CC once, and at the time I was distracted by the wonderfulness of a big 6/4 Rusk/York conversion. I recall that people thought pretty highly of that one, but I don't remember much about it. But my teacher, who is a Besson artist, thinks the latest versions are much better, and he's eagerly awaiting one on approval. He plays a G-50 now, which is probably as much York-inspired as the Nirschl.

Rick "who would like some quality time with Nirschls just out of curiosity" Denney

Follow Ups: