Re: A strange low-note thing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Charles D. Ortega on June 25, 2003 at 12:52:58:

In Reply to: A strange low-note thing posted by Aaron Hynds on June 25, 2003 at 12:07:19:

When I was in high school, I came across this unaccompanied solo in my band director's files. It looked so hard, and I tried to play it at the speed indicated, but couldn't.

So, for a month, I played it REALLY slow, just happy to be able to get through it, at pretty much half speed.

One day during lunch, I was going through it as usual, and noticed I was running out of time, so I played it as fast as I could so I could get through it before the bell rang. The next thing I knew, I was playing it up to speed! I distinctly remember thinking in my head as I was playing it at the correct tempo...Holy Cow!...and then refocusing because I didn't want to screw up!

As I left the practice room that day I was struck by how that had worked. Play it slow if you can't play it at that right tempo, and someday, you will play it at the right tempo. I thought, I AM A GENIUS...yup, me and Wile E Coyote. No one knew this secret but me, I was gonna be rich and famous...

then I told my band director and he said nonchalantly, "Of course it works we do it everyday in band..."

needless to say, I ain't rich and famous, but it shows how a lesson learned on one's own, sticks with you...

Congrats on the low B-flat.

now go lower.

cdo

Follow Ups: