Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Results from Womens Brass Conference

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bob on June 25, 2003 at 10:59:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Results from Womens Brass Conference posted by Frank Gazda on June 25, 2003 at 06:58:13:

It may be that I do live in a more enlightened country. This may be why I do not understand the logic of how a conference called a "womens conference".How a name like that do any good at all.

From where I sit, I see the name does nothing but course further barriers to building understanding. I would suggest the name of the conference is completely out of touch with what it is trying to achieve.

I compete at National, State, and metropolitan levels. I can tell you that from junior to open competition many female brass musicians dominate on a variety of brass instruments. As far as I can see we view all competitors as just that, competitiors.

If your country does still live in the 60s with regards to the worth of female musicians, I feel very sorry for all concerned as many fine musicians are being swept under the carpet and we are all the poorer for it.

The only difference i find with having females in the contesting or concert arena is that the company at after gig or contest parties is far better than just having guys there!!! ( no, that is not a sexist remark, just a fact)

I hope anyone on this board would actively encourage ALL musicians of the future.

Bob

Follow Ups: