Re: mouthpiece for E-flat -- suggestions?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on June 24, 2003 at 23:14:06:

In Reply to: mouthpiece for E-flat -- suggestions? posted by Urbie Watrous on June 24, 2003 at 11:06:13:

I think it depends on what type of playing you're using the Eb for, and whether or not you want to keep the rim basically the same as on your 18. If you're using your Eb for higher tessitura stuff and/or smaller concert venues, then you'll probably want to use something smaller than the 18. If that much is true, then you'll next need to decide if you want to keep the rim basically the same or not. If so, then look for something that's basically the same width, but with a shallower cup and/or smaller throat. If you're someone who easily adapts to different width m.p.'s, then maybe this isn't such an issue. But if you're already jumping around from bass trombone to tuba, I can't imagine that you'd want to introduce a third width to your chops. If you agree with me on that much, then maybe you should try out the Miraphone line of m.p.'s. They make 3 or 4 different F/Eb m.p.'s that would be somewhat wide like the Bach 18, but with shallower cups and smaller throats. The man who could easily help you with such a project is Tony Clements at Lowbrasswerks (this is not a paid commercial). He could easily compare the 18 to the Miraphone F/Eb pieces in his showroom. From there, he could figure out what a good match would be for you.

Several people have suggsted 24AW's and Conn Helleberg's. I would rule that out unless your partial to deep funnel type m.p.'s. Instead, I would keep the width basically the same, and make the cup and throat your variables. Just one person's preference.

Barry Guerrero

Follow Ups: