Re: Re: Re: Air quality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 20, 2003 at 21:53:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Air quality posted by David on June 20, 2003 at 21:18:50:

Ozone is a variation of oxygen resulting from the absorption of carbon monoxide, if I'm remembering correctly (and I'm probably not). It's definitely caused by combustion of fuel.

What's the answer? I think we are already answering it by moving steadily to cleaner and more efficient vehicles for the most part. It's a long-term solution. Gas-electric hybrids can help here, but I haven't seen one yet that both I and my Holton can share, heh, heh. People will buy them when their practicality improves, which it surely will. It's a good short-term trend. Perhaps hydrogen fuel cells are a good long-term direction, but the technology is still too new to know for sure. I already know people who are buying the hybrids just to save commuting fuel costs. Eventually, congestion will make everyone hate driving so much that the people will support alternatives. I'm a believer in letting the people vote with their wallets as to what they will and won't endure.

It depends on what part of Pasadena you live in, of course. I grew up in Houston and had (and have) a number of family members who live in Pasadena. Not all parts smelled so sweetly, heh, heh. And my relatives do indeed all pronounce it "Pasadeener", though I usually refrain from telling my little rhyme in their company. On those stagnant days when the seabreeze doesn't roll in, the pall along the ship channel is disgusting, as I'm sure you'll agree, though it has improved over the years. Those are the days when the car emissions get trapped in a temperature inversion, creating high-ozone days.

If you don't have allergies, just wait a while. I didn't have them either until the last couple of years.

Rick "who prefers ozone to pollen, and Appalachia to the Houston Ship Channel" Denney

Follow Ups: