Re: Musician's life in the Military

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Danny on June 19, 2003 at 19:18:46:

In Reply to: Musician's life in the Military posted by Curious on June 17, 2003 at 10:39:42:

I've actually spent a lot of time thinking about this thread, and am happy to see a lot of conversation about some very important musical issues that we deal with in the military. I'll say up front that I am new to the military band scene, and am loving it. I was told from the very beginning not to expect musical satisfaction from this job. So far, that may be true, and it may not. It has been discussed how to get over playing the same charts time and time again, and everything here said is right on, so I won't pretend to add any new insights to that. What I do have to add is on a different plane, and one that hasn't been discussed much. That is, our mission in the military as a musical organization: To enhance the mission, image and esprit de corps at home and abroad through musical support activities.
Implied, I believe, is that we will use the highest quality of musician, music and musical standards to accomplish that goal. However, standing at the gravesite in Arlington National Cemetary, the 21 Gun Salute, the playing of Taps, watching the Honor Gaurd Bearers fold the flag, and the chaplain presenting the flag to the survivors of the deceased....it's a moving experience. Musically moving? No. But at that point, when the drum major brings the horns up and we play the last hymn, I can't help but feel proud and very VERY good about what I'm doing. I've played in funerals of loved ones, and I KNOW what music brings to these occaisions. I'm not just a musician at that point, playing Bach in Db...I'm helping to honor the life of a person who served something that he/she felt very strongly enough about that they dedicated their life to it. This Country, and the ideals that it projects and strives to protect are important to me. I'm proud to be doing for my country what I can. I'm not on the front lines, I'm at home in a very cozy job. But music is what I do best, and if I can give that back to my country, I'm better for it.
That's why we're here. To honor those that gave everything so that we can discuss things like this. In moments like those in Arlington, I am raised above what one person can do, raised above my "needs" for musical challenge. I am taking part, an integral part, in something great and grand. I can't say for anyone out there but myself, but I know that when I perform music, it is so that I can raise above the day-to-day boredoms and be a part of something great even if for a short time. It may be a stretch, but when I take part in those ceremonies and funerals, I am taking part in something far greater than myself. Of course, you must realize that this is also the guy who still tears up when saluting the flag at Retreat Ceremonies. My friends may say that I'm a little too Whoo-raw Air Force, but so be it. I love my job, I love playing music, and I get to serve my country doing it. I do have to admit that if I read this post before I finished basic training, I would have laughed it off and thought someone to be a "jar-head" fanatic. Maybe so, but I'm loving the chance to do it.
As for my own musical challenges...they are only as far away as you want them to be. I've had to work HARD for everything that I've gotten, and I refuse to let anyone tell me that I can't do more. Competitions, recitals, guest solo jobs, clinics....it's all possible, even in the military. You have to learn how to work within the situation, but my superiors are all very gung-ho about me going out and finding the musical satisfaction that I NEED. And I intend to take them up on it. I've talked enough, but I hope that you can at least try to see it from this different angle.

Danny Helseth

Follow Ups: