Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by RWS (PS) on June 19, 2003 at 15:01:58:

In Reply to: Re: Musician's life in the Military posted by Ryan W. Schultz on June 17, 2003 at 22:02:59:

The Air Force Bands are a lot more like the premier bands.

As far as the Army Bands go it's helpful to know the following:

Major Command Bands (MACOM) are generally the best gigs: Fort Monroe, VA Fort McPherson, GA and Heidelberg, Germany (Best regular band players and little to almost no soldiering)

Army Bands include Training and Doctrine Bands (TRADOC) and Forces Command Bands (FORSCOM): you never know what you're getting here; I was told that in general the TRADOC bands are cushier gigs. The Fort Lewis Band I served in was a FORSCOM band.

Division Bands: These bands are part of an infantry, cavalry, armor. . . division. In general they soldier a lot more. A few that usually soldier a whole heck of a lot (and may not rehearse much) include the 10th Mountain Div. Fort Drum, NY Band, the 82nd Airbornne Div Fort Bragg, NC Band, and the Fort Stewart, GA Band.

From time to time a commander/conductor or an admistrative officer "packs a band" with better players. Fortunately this was the case for my band at Fort Lewis in 1996. At that time this was also the case for the Fort Knox, KY band. It would be helpful to email one of the bandsmen that currently serves and get this inside scoop before enlisting.

Happy trails. . .

Follow Ups: