Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on June 18, 2003 at 14:00:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military posted by Matt G on June 18, 2003 at 12:44:45:

:The most important issue is doing what you like

Amen to that.... and probably the missed point of many posts. I hated playing violin in an orchestra, but in general I love playing horn in an orchestra (and a worse orchestra to boot.) That's a pretty fine-toothed comb to be drawing lines with, but there it is.

Two people in identical situations can have opposite reactions and both are correct. I personally get agitated playing violin, hate the intense competition (everyone playing the same part, "I'm playing it better than you are") and much prefer the trecherousness of the horn (_everybody_ misses notes) and the pressure to form a cohesive quartet sound. Sitting at the back is also way, way, better than hanging off the edge of the stage. It just all adds up. I am someone who needs strong intellectual challenge that can't be provided by music (hence the EE later in life) but also needs the free-wheeling mental activity that playing music does provide. So in my own tiny corner of the world, I have a pretty good fit. Some find that fit in military bands, others do not. The more negative reactions (other than Rick's accurate advice to be careful whom you hang out with) are from people who were pretty far away from a situation that fit them. That's all.

MA

Follow Ups: