Re: Re: Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on June 18, 2003 at 12:20:36:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military posted by Matt Tropman on June 18, 2003 at 10:02:37:

Thank you for breaking your anonymity, it makes your comments more concrete and lends them more credence, although I will exercise my right to still say you are misled. I never argued the fact that you earned your job. I am a musician too and would never denegrate the effort or time you put into your pursuit.

I am suprised that you, as a Euphonium player, didn't see the beauty of your situation. I assume you had second thoughts about music and the militray was a catalyst for your misgivings. You had hit the "Chicago Symphony" for Euphonium players, so my original point is moot. Many of my colleagues over the years have hated playing "Pops" concerts, but that put the fannies in the seats and allowed us to play Mahler, etc. This may be a stretch in comparison to funerals, but valid nonetheless. Every job has it's drawbacks, it's how we overcome them within ourselves that proves the love of what we do.

I am sorry that so many people around you may have jaundiced your opinion. Do you think if the group dynamic had been better you would have enjoyed it more? Hard to say.

You had a great job, for whatever reason you left it. I think that you stressed the negatives of the job too much in your post. Was it the job or was it personal dissatisfaction with what you ended up with? One or two funerals generally don't make a job suck. I can understand ANYONES distaste for military do's and don't's, but alot of great players muddle through somehow.

I appreciate your candor. Thank you for allowing mine. I still think you presented an overly negative view, however unintentionally, of a great situation. I am sure Euphonium players were queing at the door to have your job. Sorry the experience wasn't better for you. Have Peace.

Chuck

Follow Ups: