Re: Re: Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on June 17, 2003 at 23:00:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Musician's life in the Military posted by Sean Chisham on June 17, 2003 at 22:16:24:

Sorry, Sean, but the musical challenge must come from within. Have you ever challenged yourself to playing a months worth of funerals perfectly? That may be a good starting point. I am about to embark on my 45th or 50th performance of 1812, American Salute, S&S, etc for a 4th concert with the Las Vegas Phil. The music is on my stand, I am asking myself "How can I play this better in 2003 than I did in 1985, 1987, ...". I accept the challenge. Maybe I am still a bright eyed 42 YO kid, but the challenge comes from within, not from without. I pulled 11 years(very GOOD years) in the Army. The pouch gigs of American Soldier, British 8th, etc were treated just the same as every major concert I played. The challenge comes from within, not without. Any situation can be your own proving ground. PLEASE don't let the malcontents shape your musical ideals. There are alot worse ways to make a living. At the risk of sounding stolid: Nobody said you were owed anything because you practiced hard, bought a ton of expensive horns, went to prestigious schools. Life doesn't make those delineations. If I felt I was owed something, I would hyave cashed it in a long time ago. For now, I am glad to be involved with music every waking hour, whether I lead my high school kids through a rehearsal, conduct the Brass Band, or play the tuba. I am thrilled to be able to draw breath to do these things. And yes, I had the same hopes, dreams, and aspirations as you, spent the same money on horns, and went to good schools. That I am still involved in music is the single greatest thing in my life.

Chuck

Follow Ups: