Re: Re: Melodic minor scale routines: Low Brass

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by K on June 17, 2003 at 22:36:07:

In Reply to: Re: Melodic minor scale routines: Low Brass posted by Mary Ann on June 17, 2003 at 16:26:06:

Do I smell a tiny bit of sarcasm?

Not that I do disagree with you, but not all amateur players have their own private teacher.

Joe S and I both have advocated scale playing as a part of the foundation for instrumental playing be the instrument a low conical brass or not. Let's just say, that not all TubeNetters agreed.

Part of my pedagogical method is to remove any basis for the bad excuses, which many students and even non-students have as a main strength of theirs.

My scale system makes the musically most logical presentation of the key progression: the circle of fifths.

But that only works in the midrange, which after all is 2 octaves and a minor second in my system, which is strongly inspired by jazz teachers.

Where I have changed this logical concept is in the outer ranges, where many amateurs soon would hit the limitations of their embouchures. There I have chosen the progression to happen in chromatic increments. But as the midrange should be mastered before any attempts are made into the outer ranges some sort of understanding of the relations between scales hopefully has been established.

As my aim with these uploads has been not much more than to encourage better musicianship and playing abilities, I have not made any attempts of writing a theoretical text on our diatonic scale system. That leaves plenty of room for teachers to enhance the results of students working with my scale routines. And players working on their own hopefully get the urge to ask the right questions to the right persons or to read the right books.

Klaus

Follow Ups: