Great American Brass Band Festival

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony on June 17, 2003 at 12:06:30:

I wanted to share with everyone my experience this past weekend in Danville, KY. Every year in June, the town of Danville, KY holds this festival for bands of all sorts. it is the largest of its kind in the US. Over the years, just about every major brass ensemble has made an appearance there, including Summit, Battle Creek, US Army brass band, many military bands and chamber groups. This is one of the most unique places to spend a weekend performing music. The locals are very nice and welcome you to their town with open arms. They are a very appreciative audience.

I was there with the Triangle Youth Brass Band. We had a great weekend. it was one of the best band trips I have ever been involved with. Some highlights for us: Seeing the Missisauga Temple Salvation Army Band from Toronto. This band was tops. They had a euphonium soloist that ate up the Wilby and spit it out for lunch, and a tuba soloist rip thru the Goedicke Concert Etude. This band was clean and energetic with a powerful brass sound.

The US Coast Guard Band was there, and they were amazing. Their principal Euphoniumist played a solo of American songs that was great. The band was tight and the crown loved it. Dixie Power Trio was great as usual. Lexington Brass Band sounded better than ever. Advocate brass Band with the Hellcats is always fun to listen to.

It did rain, but that did not keep anyone from having a great time. These are the things I got to see, but there was a lot more going on. if you ever get the chance, plan on heading to KY in June. It is a fun weekend for Band and brass players.

tony

Follow Ups: