Re: Is the Tuba a 'good' instrument?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on June 15, 2003 at 20:55:15:

In Reply to: Is the Tuba a 'good' instrument? posted by Becoming Frustrated on June 15, 2003 at 18:44:18:

Having taught beginning strings and having had 16 cellos and 10 basses go one from a class of 20 and 14 respectively, let me tell you how I worked it. I never, ever demonstrated the violin, didn't acknowledge it's existence. Most people don't need any prodding to play the damn thing. I always started my speil by saying "Who is the smartest person in the room?" After the obligatory verbal fighting, I told those students that they had to play bass because only the smartest kids can play it. Next were the cellos, same deal. You can do this with instruments of the band. NEVER ASK WHO WANTS TO PLAY DRUMS. Never show a clarinet, saxophone, flute, or trumpet. Make it sound as if the low brass/woodwinds are the end of the earth. Basically, you are lying through your butt, but education is salesmanship. Then you keep them happy and on task and you will have a ton of kids playing those forgotten instruments. I am seriuous about the smart thing. Only the best and brightest can play the low end boys. They have to have patience and understand their role. The top voice instruments are for the dumber kids who need instant gratification to stay with it. Really, how many times have you had a REALLY intelligent conversation with a clarinet player. Good luck.

Chuck

Follow Ups: