Re: Re: F Tuba Timbre

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 14, 2003 at 08:04:02:

In Reply to: Re: F Tuba Timbre posted by js on June 13, 2003 at 21:08:34:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. What American F? The piston F's mention vary over the gamut, as to the rotary F's. To me, the difference is mostly in response, and the instruments in question are spaced over a continuum, not necessarily in two distant camps.

For example, I think the low C on the Miraphone 181 responds quite as well as on the Meinl-Weston 45SLP, and perhaps better. Ditto the Willson rotary F. But it is true that with an appropriately large mouthpiece, the Yamaha just plays, as does the Willson. I don't think it's the pistons, because Willson's rotary F is different in some ways but similar in that one.

In terms of timbre, the Yamaha 621 sounds like a small tuba, but not as small as you'd think from looking at it. The tall-bell rotary F's have a more reverberant sound with less presence. I like the way they sound when played by masters. But my Yamaha helps me get the right notes in ways those other don't, and for those of us who can't pass your test, a tuba that helps get the right notes is worth a lot more than a tuba that sounds good on the wrong notes. Does that mean I should be better? Sure. But I ain't.

Rick "who likes tubas that help make him sound better than he is" Denney

Follow Ups: